Thursday, November 25, 2004

Thanksgiving 2004

We got several Thanksgiving cards from family this week. I was never into Thanksgiving cards over the years. I like to write letters (emails, too) so buying a card that someone else has written and you just say a word or two is a waste of money, to me. That gets me to the point, though, which is to remember close friends and family at these special times with something...which when I look back, I have not done. So today I will rectify that problem.

I got an email from a friend who went through a horrid last four months. She lost her job, lost her public respect and was humiliated in the press for a DUI issue. Maybe you know her...but regarless, she is a great person who got sucked up in one of the storms of life. Anyway, she wrote me a note thanking me for my support this year. Her rememberance of people in such a way at Thanksgiving made me think of a book my Aunt Phyllis had in her collection entitled "Try Giving Yourself Away" by David Dunn. Dunn's theory was to recognize people for the small things they do along life's way and you will be repaid greatly for it.

We talk today about Random Acts of Kindness, but Dunn's approach is so much wiser. I think that has some connection to mediation...which is concilliation or self revealing statements, etc.

One final note. We met Jeff's new friend, Mary last weekend. She is a very nice young woman and our prayer is that they can find happiness together. Life is so fulfilled when you have a partner to share it with. Aleene and I have been at it for over 40 years...in fact, the summer of 1961 was when we first discoverd the other...and it has been a blast. I cannot immagine going through all the ups and downs of life with out a mate. Good luck, Mary and Jeff...and God's speed.

No comments: