Saturday, November 27, 2004

Holiday Weekends

Ah, Thanksgiving weekend! I especially love it because I did not have to motor to GR today to teach...we have the weekend off. I have mentioned my Saturday class before, and while I like them a lot, a Saturday home was nice. So we went to Ida Red's for breakfast.

For those of you who don't know, Ida Red's Cottage is our favorite breakfast place in Saugatuck. Not only is it intimate and clean, it has good food. They tell you that they do not use egg beaters and that food is made to order from scratch. My favorite is their scrambled eggs (mixed up with heavy cream) and cottage fries which are slices of potatoes French fried...they are like semi-soggy/crisp potato chips. I usually get sausage or ham. It is a big serving, and not healthy, but it is good. Aleene gets the short stack of MULTI grain pancakes and bacon (crisp and thick sliced.)

Anyhow, I had my Steeler sweatshirt on (since neither of my Lion teams (Nittany or Detroit) are doing well, I can still get into those Stillers.) Some guy comes in and spots the Steeler logo and says, "How ya dawn? Yous guys from Pittsburgh?" Well, guess where he was from? I explained that we were from NC and then the fun began. They were from Beaver Falls...but knew someone from north of NC in Wilmont where the Amish live. I said, "Oh, you mean Wilmington?"
"Naaa, that's not it, you probably never heard of it since it is so small." he replied.
Well, I let it go...he doesn't know how to pronounce Wilmington (New Wilmington) and if he thinks that is small...let's consider Volant or Fayette? Aleene and I had a chuckle...don't tell a couple of kids from small town Lawrence County, PA where the hell the Amish live.

But the delight of delights of this weekend is that I can work for money! I got a quick gig helping a plastic injection molding operation in Grand Haven fill four jobs...whew...the resumes you get from folks around here when you advertise...so many JCI folks out of work. This will be fun. I have 120 resumes to screen, a bunch of phone calls to make and a chance to interview folks over the next three weeks for winter spending money. Cool. So I better get busy with the work at hand....and have a good weekend.

No comments: