Sunday, August 26, 2007

Tide pools

I have been checking the tide table on the internet, so I knew that the early morning low tide was...just that...early morning. I got up and out by 6:30 a.m. and walked the quarter mile or so to our favorite spot. The tide was past low and was beginning to come back in...but that takes hours. Until then the tide pools are exposed and the many huge rocks that are covered at high tide were exposed. We like to take Tru there, but it has been too early. Tomorrow it moves to about 7:15...so we are looking forward to an early start and getting down there while the tide is out...way out. The afternoon low tide is about five feet higher and not nearly as much is exposed. Tomorrow is our last day to try to get a good look at all the creatures clinging to rocks and swimming in the little tide pools.

On my way back I was taken by the amount of trash that was left on the beach last night. Bottles, cans, cups were all lined up where the high tide had left them; way too much for me to carry. I did bring a few things back with me. I guess people think differently on Saturday night than they do the rest of the week. This was the worst trash event that I have seen.

We read that some whales are beginning to show up, so this late morning we are going to drive up the coast to a high spot where we can look out to see if we can spot any.

My attempt to upload my camera to my computer failed. I am going to have to wait until I get home to use my usual technique. That is why there are no pictures yet.

No comments: