Sunday, December 12, 2004

What makes up a good Sunday?

I have thought about this for decades. What is pleasing to God and to me about how I choose to spend my Sundays...the designated day of rest of a Protestant Christian?

First, I must comment on the fact that I was reared on a farm and we always did chores (fed animals, milked cows (when there was milking to do)) on Sunday, but we never (or rarely) did the work of the farm on Sunday. The only time we did was when it was so wet during a particular summer and we had hay down and the forecast was for more rain...and we had to get it in on Sunday. There are very practical reasons not to let hay get wet. First, it loses its nutritional value fast once cut and not dried quickly, second if baled or put in storage loose when it is damp, it can cause fire through spontaneous combustion.

Our custom at home was to do chores, go to church (church school, too), eat a big meal, rest and play. In the evening we would sign hymns around the piano and maybe watch TV. That is when it was around...didn't have one until I was a teenie bopper. Homework was always ok to do when in school.

I, like many other adults I know, used to become depressed on Sunday evening either because I was lonely (college and Navy) or I was not prepared for the next week. When I was working it was more like a sullen listlessness due to not wanting to end a perfectly lovely day by going to bed and starting off the week. Most of the time in the Navy we had "Holiday Routine" on Sundays unless we were at sea and then you stood watch, but did not "work" if that is possible on a combatant while at sea...but we did have devine services...which I attended most weeks.

When we had kids, it was pretty much the same routine. Up, chores, church, eat, rest and study.

So what is different about today, December 12, 2004? I came to the realization that another complete generation has taken over at church. The program was guided by new folk, it was presented by kids most of whom I did not know, but it was soooo good. I could not sing the carols with the children because they were too cute...too many lumps in the throat.

We came home and ate hot soup on a cold day...I took a nap and talked to Jeff (on his birthday) and watched the Steelers...and they won...shades of the the 1970s they are really good this year.

I got some work done, studied a little, talked to Gary and Jan in their new house in Arizona, talked to Truman and Brendon...and watched the NFL countdown on ESPN while I got ready for busy morrow. I have to go to work, and I am actually looking forward to it in spite of the forecast for a winter storm warning....life is good.

What would God have me do? Stay busy, either doing things for Him or doing productive things that I enjoy doing. I gotta say that as I tell people what my life is all about this fall, I actually can say, I am having fun. I work a little, I mediate some cases, I write some stuff and I get to teach. Wow....

No comments: